Bug’s Bikes Eligibility and Application
Please note there have been changes made to the eligibility requirements with regards to income. We are also now accepting applications for partial grants. Applications will be accepted on a rolling quarterly schedule based on fund availability. We will review applications at Quarterly Board Meetings.
Bug’s Bikes Mission
Bug’s Bikes, Inc. is a non-profit created to carry out Bug’s wish to make sure kids like him are able to have bikes like his. Bug’s Bikes goal is to help remove the financial obstacles that so often stand in the way of families raising children with disabilities from buying something as costly as a bike.
1) To provide financial assistance through fundraising, grants and solicitation of donations for the sole purpose of purchasing adaptive and therapeutic bicycles, helmets and other accessories for children with special needs.
2) To provide educational resources and information necessary for families and therapists to assist with determining the appropriate type and size of adapted bicycle for each child.
3) To receive, administer and distribute funds in connection with any activities related to the above purposes.
Bug’s Bikes, Inc. is an official non-profit corporation functioning in accordance with all Massachusetts and federal non-profit guidelines and for the sole purpose to carry out the mission listed above.
Eligibility for Funding through Bug’s Bikes
To be eligible the following criteria must be met:
- The applicant child must be between 5 and 21 years of age.
- The applicant child must reside in the State of Massachusetts.
- The applicant child must have a physical, intellectual or sensory disability documented by a physician.
- All applicants must submit a completed Bug’s Bikes application in full with all necessary attachments.
- All applicants’ household income must meet the Bug’s Bikes income guidelines. Income verification is a requirement of all applicants.
- All applicants must submit a letter from a MD, physical or occupational therapist indicating that an adaptive bicycle would be medically appropriate and therapeutic for the child and that a conventional bicycle would not be appropriate. The letter should also state if the child has successfully trialed an adaptive bicycle and what kind of adaptations are necessary, any measurements taken and any other pertinent information.*
* If the child is not regularly followed by a physical or occupational therapist, we can assist with determining an appropriate adaptive Bicycle for the applicant.
The following income requirements are guidelines and will be considered along with other information such as families other out of pocket medical expenses in order to qualify:
Your gross annual Income must be equal to or below
Family of 2: $70,803
Family of 3: $87,026
Family of 4: $108,545
*For families in excess of 4 people add $8100 per additional child.
For families who do not meet the income eligibility but are interested in fundraising opportunities and purchasing a bike at a discounted rate, please contact email@example.com.
How to Apply for Funding Assistance:
- Read the application carefully and complete all information. Please PRINT or TYPE. An application that is not complete will be returned.
- If you need help completing any part of the application, please contact
Kelly De Angelis at 617-293-6503 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Attach copies of proof of all household gross income, explanation of additional expenses, proof of diagnosis and Referral Letter from a licensed therapist or MD to application. All documents must be current, within 60 days of application date. Do not forget to sign and date your application.
- Mail completed application to
Attn: Kelly De Angelis
5 Maxwell’sGreen #101
Somerville, MA 02144
Proof of Household Income Verification Is Listed Below:
- If a household member is employed: 3 consecutive paystubs from the last 60 days for each person working in the household. If you cannot send paystubs please submit a signed and dated letter from your employer on company letterhead which states the hourly rate, number of regular hours worked per day, frequency of pay and gross pay. Please also be sure to provide bonus and commission information as well. Be sure the employer’s phone number and address are included in case there are any questions.
- If a household member is a seasonal or temporary employee: Indicate the number of months worked during the year and if unemployment compensation is received when not working.
- If a household member receives Unemployment Compensation: Submit the Notice of Financial Determination award Letter or Check Stubs.
- If a house member receives Social Security, Survivor’s or Disability benefits, retirement, pension, or Worker’s Compensation: Submit the most recent award letter, Form 1099, or bank statement which shows the direct deposits to the bank.
All applications will be reviewed by Bug’s Bikes, Inc.’s Board. All complete qualifying applications will be considered. Bikes will be granted based on available funds. Recipients will be chosen by the board from all qualifying applications based on a variety of considerations. Qualifying applications will be kept on file.
Submit Applications any time of the year and your application will be reviewed at our next quarterly board meeting.
Click this link to access the application.